Hey folks. Sorry for the delay in getting these results out there for review.
Prior to the Dinner and Tasting, Anthony, Dawson, and Jon-Paul did take another trip to the Alba Vineyard for more tasting of wines as well as picking up some. Despite a torrential downpour on the way back to Anthony's house, the visit was a nice one.
Given the 'Chardonnay' theme for this wine tasting, lighter foods such as chicken and shrimp scampi were selected for dinner, along with typical staples such as bread and cheese, and some terrific bruschetta prepared by Anthony. Participating in this tasting were Anthony, Drew, Dawson, Joe, and Jon-Paul.
In order from worst to first (average scores of all scores using our standard 1-5 scale):
1. Byron 2006 Santa Maria Valley (California, $17.99)--This tight nosed effort showed some sweetness but with little length, was not a fave of the group--average score: 2.3
2. Guenoc Lake County 2007 Chardonnay (California, $9.99)--This effort had a medium body with sour apple on the nose. The flavor was typical of an oak storage (vanilla and cream), but was noticeably hot--may need more time to relax--average score: 2.6
3. Kim Crawford Chardonnay Unoaked 2008 (New Zealand, $17.99)--the nose was incredibly vegetal and lemony, and bore some great length, but for the majority of the group was not an appealing selection--average score: 2.6
4. La Crema 2007 Chardonnay (California, $15.99)--Having practically no aroma, the textbook flavor profile of this left no remarkable impression--average score: 2.6
5. Chateau St. Michelle Indian Wells 2006 Chardonnay (Washington, $13.99)--with a vegetal nose, this effort bore kiwi and creamy components to the flavor profile, which were very intriguing, but ended way too quick--average score: 2.9
6. Montrachet Pierre Chassagne 2006 (France, $65.00)--this refreshing light wine had the smell of yard and flora, with a light, acidic taste--average score: 3.0
7. Grgish Hills Chardonnay 2006 (California, $37.00)--Another tight-nosed effort, this did have some intriguing tart, sour apple, and pear flavorsaverage score--average score: 3.3
8. Mer SoLeil 2006 Chardonnay (California, $30.00)--by far, the class of the bunch, this lemony smelling, medium bodied wine had terrific balance and complexity, and incredible length. average score: 3.8